Saturday, July 11, 2020

2/23/17

On reading "Ethnographic Sorcery" --
When I call metaphor what you call reality, I am being a colonial imperialist. I wish to colonize your consciousness with my truth claims. Of course, my reality is not metaphor at all.

(Understand political parties as ethnographic sorcery)

What you have faith in is what works for you.
In the '60s, I lost my faith in Christianity because the people I went to church with were so exclusionary. 

I opened to the humanists, in particular the transpersonal psychologists and to panentheism. 

Later, I opened to Christianity in its form taken by Pseudo-Dyonysius and by Meister Eckhart.

To understand another's belief system, you have to allow yourself to be converted to it. I did this several times a day as a psychotherapist. You keep your Ariadne's thread, of course, so you can emerge safely from the maze, or rather, the maze becomes diaphonous, is translucent to your understanding. You may wish to do the same for your own belief system. Hardened scales give way to wings.

Enter another person's reality and travel with them. Maintain your center while entering and opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work by George Breed is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.