Saturday, July 11, 2020

2/16/17

My son asked me long ago why, as people get older, they tend to get more religious. As an older person, 75 in a few months, I think I can more adequately answer that question. It is not so much that I am more religious in the sense of church attendance unless by church is meant the realm of nature and the actions of daily life. I am more open to the spiritual realm because my mind is less entangled with the ways of the world. Sure, I know what is going on, but I am less attached to it. I am making a transition. I can feel my body letting go (though it is a good horse and seems to have some years left). 

I am fortunate in that my mind has been capacious most of my life. But now that capaciousness is more my abiding place than the worlds of daily human sociodrama. I am "in the world but not of the world." It is as if elders share a secret which is a secret only because it cannot be fully shared with younger persons as they flash past on their zip line of life.

I think older people get "more religious" or, in my terms, more spiritual or more capacious, because we are making a felt transition to other realms. We are shifting energies. We are "dying before we die" and are continuing opening our awareness that new adventures await.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work by George Breed is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.